Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Happy Accidents


My name is not unique, but is different enough that I'm insulated from running into too many people who share it. While Michael, a biblical name, is fairly common, Gresham isn't. In fact, my father once told me that if you run into someone named Gresham, they're probably related. I'm not sure that's true, but I'll likely try to put it to the test by getting free tickets to a Cowboys game the next time Jermaine Gresham and the Cincinnati Bengals roll into town.



Last night, though, I have to admit I was somewhat surprised to get an email to one of my seldom used accounts that was obviously intended for a different Michael Gresham. It was meant for a complete stranger — but in reading the letter, I learned that stranger had much in common with me.

The letter, you see, was a recommendation by this young lady for a Michael Gresham in the Dallas, Ga. area who is hoping to adopt a child. As a Michael Gresham who lives in the Dallas area (albeit Texas), I know the adoption process well. My own little barbarian horde (pictured above) is all adopted, former foster children my wife and I just couldn't see fit to let leave our home.

The similarities didn't stop there, though. This other Michael Gresham apparently is married to a wonderful lady, who happens to be a teacher. While my lovely wife is on a hiatus from work these days, she too is an educator by trade.

Without getting into too many other details contained in a letter meant for someone else's eyes, this other "me" works in a field not too dissimilar to my own. The glowing praise the letter writer showered on him about his community involvement and efforts at their church left me feeling a bit inadequate when it came to my own service, but all in all I happily admit I'd be fine with being mistaken for him. 

Knowing that somewhere out there in Georgia, there's a Michael Gresham anxiously awaiting a recommendation letter, I crafted the following reply for the writer:
Dear [Redacted],  
I've received this letter in error I believe. Oddly enough, my name is Michael Gresham and my wife, Gina, is a teacher...and we have gone through the adoption process — four times now. We have 4 wonderful children that we fostered then adopted. Personally, I think it is a wonderful letter of recommendation. My namesake is lucky to count you as a friend. Wish him luck next time you speak. 
Thank you, 
Michael Gresham 
Close to Dallas, but the one that is the home of champions (Go Mavs!)
In the grand scheme of things, it was just an email that made its way to me on accident, but at the end of a long day, it brought a smile to my face.

It was a happy accident.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.