Friday, April 29, 2011

Bitter or Better?

There is a spot on my back patio where I can lean against the gate, stare across the pool and listen to the wind blowing through the leaves of the Oleander bushes.

It's quite possibly my favorite place in my home.

I find I retreat to this sanctuary after a particularly bad day or when things around the house just get too hectic. My children think of it as my timeout spot. They know when I'm there leaning against that fence staring out across the yard that I likely need a moment.



Personally, I think everyone needs a spot like that in their home. I'd much rather escape to my little spot and let the pressures of the day slip away with the breeze than take out those frustrations on my family.

I also think we all need a place to go where we can feel sorry for ourselves.

There's a hash tag some of my friends on Twitter use called #firstworldproblems. I always get a kick out of that because it's so true. Many of the perceived wrongs in our lives are little more than that. Unresponsive servers, rude online commenters, missed deadlines or lackluster sales efforts don't really stack up to some of the problems people are facing in other parts of the world.

That said, we all feel sorry for ourselves at one point or another. And, actually, that's ok. Sometimes you need get down in the dumps to realize that you really don't have that much to feel sorry for — instead you have plenty of reasons to be thankful.

So find your spot, listen to the breeze and get bitter or better.

• Today's earworm.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.